Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Only the trend Matters

Consistency, consistency, consistency.

I keep on repeating this mantra to myself, hoping it holds the key to making progress. But no matter how often I say it there is always something that gets in the way. Forever I am setting out a programme and then after a short time breaking the pattern. Always it feels like starting again even if the transgressions are so slight they do not affect my level of fitness. They show a lack of resolve and on the whole that pisses me off.

The latest example is the routine of two days on, one day off, which I was really pleased with and thought sustainable. However I have been away for the long weekend, and somehow did not manage to find the time to run. I could have done, I know I could have done, but somehow I just did not feel like forcing it.

So that is three days off – not a big deal but it is the principle of the thing. I feel like a dieter staring at an empty packet of biscuits wondering how they all got eaten.

Regret is however useless. All I can do is put it aside, lace up the trainers, get out, and see how long the routine lasts this time. If the overall trend is upwards then that is all that matters.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I feel like a dieter staring at an empty packet of biscuits wondering how they all got eaten. "

That made me spit coffee :) great stuff.

Thanks for putting my blog up in your links i have put yours up on mine.

Great blog.

Highway Kind said...

Thanks Phil, good to hear from you.

[rich] said...

:-) don't beat yourself up so much. My mantra for what it's worth is run as far as you can whenever you can - 3 days off will do you some good. 2 weeks off will make you suffer...Keep up the miles.

Highway Kind said...

You are right three days makes no difference.

No I just get a tad irritated by the difficulty I have in following-through with my plans