Sunday, July 04, 2010

Keeping Things Fresh


TDIJ day 2: run 7.14km, 42min
TDIJ day 3: run 10.33km, 1hr 2min


Today’s photo was taken looking down at one of the bollards used for mooring narrowboats. I have no idea why it is open at the top, perhaps it is a birdbath for wrens unless, or maybe it can serve as a vase to prettify the side of the canal - who knows.

One of the reasons I run is to get out and have the opportunity to notice details in the landscape. My hit rate is low - I don’t notice much on each run as a lot of attention is internally focussed (e.g. thinking about running form or rhythm, how heavily I am breathing or my heart rate), and my field of view often limited by watching where I will put my feet. But every so often I will catch something out of the corner of my eye, or pause and look around. It gives me a strange sense of satisfaction when I find some object or detail that repays attention, the more so if I have passed it many times before without really seeing it.

The route may be familiar but I do not take it for granted. I cannot take for granted for if I do there is a danger I will think of my trips as just another run, and there is the danger of ennui. There has to be a freshness in getting out of the door, a sense of satisfaction. Initially, for all runners there is the almost heady pleasure of getting measurably better. You have clear evidence that you can go faster and last for longer and it is exciting. After a time though things plateau and new inducements have to be found. Most people who take running seriously look to races for purpose and focus. For some reason I don’t. I seem to find enough satisfaction in getting out and looking at things. That and setting myself little challenges.

Thirty Days In July 3/3
run 3/3
distance: 24.39km
time: 2hr 24min

No comments: