Sunday, July 11, 2010

Keeping Going


TDIJ day 9: run 7.12km, 44min
TDIJ day 10: run 6.15km 37min


Back home and back on track. In hot weather all that is needed is the chance to get up early and be out before the day warms up.

The procedure is very simple: out of bed, into running kit, drink of water, and out the door. Because I am running before food I know my levels of glycogen will be low and I have to hope the muscles will burn mostly fat. So I run steadily and not too far. Even so it feels harder than would normally be the case. Usually before a pre-breakfast run I like to eat a banana but for the last two days there have been none in the house. However the early run surely helps you appreciate breakfast!

Saturday completed what can be called graduation week. My niece has just completed her fine arts degree at Leeds and her graduation show, along with shows from other art schools was in an exhibition at the old Truman Brewery, Brick Lane. I really enjoyed the show because I like to see the way people think-through ideas and overcome certain self imposed problems and I also thought there was some good work (including my niece who had created structures by gluing together individual sugar crystals and then photographing and enlarging the results). However I wondered what would happen to everybody. Would many of them find again the challenges, freedom, and support they had just enjoyed? Would many of them be able to go on an flourish. My suspicion is that for most this was their flowering, after which there will be different career paths. I just hope they do not bury their imagination in the upcoming economic struggles of day to day living.

Thirty Days In July 8/10
run 7/10
distance: 48.84km
time: 4hr 51min
cycle 1/10
distance: 17 miles
time: 1hr 17min

No comments: