Monday, March 08, 2010

Nice Run - Not Much Happened

The house opposite has just been repointed and today the workman was finishing-off by putting back the fixings, including the name and number. It is No 99 and unfortunately he put it upside down. For some reason I got just a little bit more pleasure than I should from being helpful and telling him of the mistake - his sigh was a thing of beauty.

Other than that there is not much to say about my run. It was 11.5km at the slow, easy base-run pace. Every run at the moment is similar in intensity (i.e. low) but there is a certain amount of variation in route. Not a great deal as I tend to have some well trod paths but I always leave myself the freedom to put in extra loops or take out sections, depending on how I feel on the day.

As a runner I am not an explorer; I am remarkably content to go to the same places again and again. Perhaps I have the memory of a goldfish but I don't get tired of repeatedly seeing the same things. If boredom and weariness come it is not because of familiar surroundings but because I am tired within myself. Often the weather sets my mood (which is why I struggle so much in January and February) but today was clear and crisp - perfect for keeping moving. Everything felt fresh.

The stats for last week were: 4 runs, 1 cycle ride. Distance run 36km, cycled 29 miles. (Odd how I mix up the units but over the past couple of years I have started to use kilometres for running). Not huge totals but the aim is to gradually build up.

2 comments:

buryblue said...

good thing your neighbours number wasn't 666 or you might have felt you were living through a scene from a creepy movie!

Phil said...

Thanks for the comment about Farndon. What a nice place you used to live. Did you ever do the 10km race here?