Monday, March 01, 2010

The New Year Begins Here

A new month!

Oh boy do I need this marker; this excuse to say: start again - have a new beginning. So far the year has been rubbish - not just cold but unrelentingly grey. For two months there has been nothing but heavy skies and bleakness to weigh down my spirits and tip me into some sort of Scandinavian gloom (a thought that came to me when I watched Kenneth Brannagh playing Wallander). I have gained no running consistency and have only been ticking-over, just a few km a week, feeling heavy and sluggish.

But that is now gone, swept away by a new start.

I have a new plan - well actually it is the same plan of completing a marathon training schedule but the time has been shifted so that I will race in the autumn. Before that I will put in two months of base training to get myself into good habits and build fitness.

Today I ran for an hour, much slower than I have run for ages and felt happy to have remembered, the lesson I always forget, that slow is good. (Without a conscious resetting my runs always return to the mean - that steady mid pace that does not achieve too much). The sun was out and the water sparkled as it flowed over the top of the lock gates. Everybody I passed seemed that much more relaxed and there were a few smiled acknowledgements, whereas on bleak days everybody seems to hunker into themselves. So it was actually a fairly easy day to make a new start and mark my diary with 'DAY 1' in heavy capitals.

That does not matter. The important thing is it has been done and the year has now begun (again).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds awful, but I draw such comfort when I read that everyone else has also had a dismal start to the year. Let's all be good for spring! I just have to get a poorly a hardly trained for half mrathon out of the way.Then I will be in the hopeful boat. Good luck for this year in running.

Highway Kind said...

It is not awful. It is human nature. We need to know we are not the only ones finding it difficult.

Most people I know have found the year a struggle so far. But I have faith that things will pick up.

I hope we all have a good year.

Adele said...

Ah, lovely to see you back and in positive spirit. Yup, same here, no motivation to get out in that cold, wet weather, but now the sun has started to peer through the leaves, I am back on course again.

Wallander, I love it, excellent.

Anonymous said...

Glad you've got your running mojo back. I think a few of us have been struggling with the weather and the general greyness. Hopefully we've turned a corner... roll on the clock change and bright Spring evenings.

Revrunner said...

Slow is good. That's a mantra I've been repeating to myself a lot lately. Thanks for the post!