Monday, July 28, 2008

Photothon 25: Under the shade of trees



Another broken rule! Not the furthest point but the end (and of course the beginning).

It was a hot day and the only place to run was in the woods, under a canopy of trees. There was a such a difference in temperature between the open areas and woodland that I don't think I could have run very far without that cover of leaves.

I took some photos at the furthest point and could have used them but the defining moment of today's run happened at the end, when it was over and I was doing my stretches. I am a believer in stretches after a run. Whenever I have had injuries they have usually been caused by tight calves so I spend a deal of time easing out my calves. I also have tight hamstrings and they need stretching, which I usually do by lying on my back and pulling back on a straightened leg.

I was doing this near a tree and, as is my usual practice, had my eyes closed when I held the stretch. However for some reason I opened them and looked up at the cover of trees with the sun filtering through and the blue sky beyond outlined in an intricate pattern. An enormous feeling of peace swept over me. In the distance I could hear children playing. A couple of girls were trying to work their hula hoops and some boys were building a den out of fallen branches. In another area there was laughter from a group of mums and their children having a picnic. The place was at ease with itself and I was looking up, up, up into the heavens.

Admittedly it was not all perfect balance and harmony – I did have one leg waving about in the air, rather uncomfortably – but it was a moment to enjoy. If running can bring on such moods,even if only occasionally, then it is worth all the sweaty effort.

3 comments:

WildWill said...

Love the photos on your blog - the concept of capturing a pit on your run is a really good one (one i can relate to being a photographer)

Im also i believe in stretching - but my physio has told me a to limit the amount i do as i have hyperflexability in a few joints that causes be a bit of problem

Anonymous said...

Perfect! You know, that's one of my favourite views.

Highway Kind said...

Hi Will
I can't begin to imagine what hyperflexibility is like. All the time I am fighting against my body's tendency to get tighter and tighter

Adele - Yes looking up at trees is wonderful, especially tall trees where the trunk reaches into the sky