Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Cake



One of the traditions of cycling is the cake stop. It makes an outing pleasantly English to pop out for a nice cup of tea and a piece of cake – it gives a focus for the route.

The National Trust tea room at Ashridge is perfect as they serve the tea in a mug and their cakes are home made. The cakes are so well regarded the man who makes them was persuaded to produce a little book with all the recipes.

Although there is not the same tradition in running (i.e. you don't want to break off in the middle),this place is quite important in my training. It is the start point for one of my circular routes and when I finish I am particularly partial to their chocolate, walnut brownie.

Why bother with sports bars or recovery drinks when you can have a mug of tea and a brownie?

P.S. The cake book showed the importance of good proof reading. It had to be withdrawn and then reprinted as ingredients were missed out in a couple of the recipes (in one case it was flour!)

P.P.S. As you can see from the photo my bike is a Planet X Kaffenback. I have to make sure it lives up to its name.

5 comments:

womble said...

"Why bother with sports bars or recovery drinks when you can have a mug of tea and a brownie?"

You do know someone has invented sport cake, don't you? You may laugh but we were talking about this at the weekend!

Highway Kind said...

Sports cake??!!!

Oh my thats something else for me to avoid.

beanz said...

I make a ramble bar - flapjack with added ingredients
does that count as sport cake?

[rich] said...

Grand idea to start and finish a run at a cake shop - Pubs are also a good alternative :-)

The weather looks great in that picture... it's minging up here.

Highway Kind said...

Beanz - that counts as proper food. I'm a big believer in tasty home made stuff.

The strangest thing is that I bet there are a lot of people very concerned with additives in different types of food but make an exception when tey see 'sport' on the label.

JB - Yep pubs work as well and I have this route that starts at 11 am on Saturdays that ....

As for weather I have just been talking to my sister in law, who lives in Nottingham, she seemed to take the rain personally.