Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sunflowers


One of the pleasures of running the same routes repeatedly is familiarity, whilst one of the disadvantages is …. familiarity.

Some mornings you can wake up and be a little tired of the thought of going to the same place but somehow when you get out you see new things, subtle changes, an evolving landscape or different activities, and the run is still interesting, still fresh. When you go on holiday to a place you know but see infrequently you can get the boost of the genuinely new so that each run is an exploration whilst still knowing where you are going.

I still like to look for changes and the best crop in all the whole world is sunflowers. Every day they look different and running between the fields of yellow is fun. They are tall, the right height to be looked squarely in the face.


In only a couple of weeks they change from having a greenish tight centre to a full old semi-globe before the petals drop, the head droops and the colour dulls. These two pictures were taken from the same field and shows how they move through stages.

I also like how , for agriculture, they are sown in straight lines and stand like soldiers but there are often one or two who are contrarians - standing to the side looking in the opposite direction. I am always amused when things break ranks.


Like anything they look different in different light. In the high sunlight they open up and you see the brightness of the yellow petals whilst when conditions are gloomier they close and look more tousled, slightly browner. As in the final photo.

7 comments:

jogblog said...

You run past this field? I am so jealous, I love sunflowers. Ours didn't grow, I don't know why. I had fifteen grow out of the cracks in my patio the other year from seeds that had fallen out of ones sowed the year previously.

Adele said...

Jealous too! It's simply dreamy, and your photos capture it beautifully. They are such happy flowers...and against those bright blue skies...sigh.

irunbecauseilovefood said...

Lovely shots. That's one of the things I remember very vividly about childhood camping trips to France - rows and rows of happy sunflowers.

Highway Kind said...

JB - only on holiday.

I am still sorting through some of my photos and will post a couple more of them before I slip back into real time.

But I had to post some pictures of sunflowers because they are so cheery.

Anonymous said...

They're wonderful! Just what I needed.

Eva said...

They look fab, my daughter planted some sunflower seeds and they don't seem to be growing just a pink flower! Odd!

SDrunner said...

I've never seen a field of sunflowers before, looks like a very nice view. Great pics!