Sunday, July 26, 2009

Morning or Evening



Morning or evening are the only times to run as the meat of the day is too hot. My choice is morning as evenings are much more suited to gentle strolls around the village. One of the great pastimes is to walk around to look at all the properties to see if there have been any changes - places for sale of new renovations, that sort of thing. There are about 150 people in the village of whom about 25 are outsiders who have bought dilapidated properties to renovate. most they are English but apparently on the scale of things they are more acceptable than Parisians.

The evening walks took us in loops in the countryside around the village and these pictures were taken about 9:30, when the sun was setting.

Morning running has the advantage of discipline: I had to be out by 8 at the latest, or it would be too hot. This means there can be no procrastination or general messing about. It has to be wake-up get dressed and go! So every morning (bar two) I woke up at 7:15 and ran before breakfast.

There were two great advantages. The first was that I saw the countryside whilst it still felt fresh, whilst the second was that when I was out the bakers van visited, so I returned for a breakfast of fresh French bread and croissants. Brilliant. Unfortunately it is a routine I have no hope of replicating at home.

Ah well I have my memories.

1 comment:

SDrunner said...

Wow, that last picture in your post really makes it worth running in the mornings. I used to run in the mornings, but at 6AM! I have since switched to night running and have seen my times improve significantly. I also wrote a blog post about running in the morning vs at night.