Sunday, May 24, 2009

Compared to This Man I am a Bit of a Wuss

Well compared to a lot of people really, as I don't think I have more than a modicum of fortitude.  here the person in the photo (Andy) is showing-up my lack of endurance. He is one of the competitors in the Grand Union Canal Race from Birmingham to London -  145 mile long  to be completed within 45 hours.

I have no idea how they keep going for that amount of timewith no sleep. I'm sure I would start hallucinating or stumble into the water in the middle of the night, providing that I could reach the middle of the night (which I don't think I could). Yet these people just keep on going, putting one foot in front of another  not letting up.

This year must have been very. very tough because of the heat. My run was only 12 miles but I struggled towards the end, yet compared to these competitors I was doing no more than a jog around the block.

How do they do it?

3 comments:

Adele said...

I'd love to know what they think about during the difficult moments, they are the really gritty ones amongst us aren't they? It must be interesting working out how to fuel a run like that too.

Highway Kind said...

I have no idea how they do it.

For fuel they mostly have support crews how travel on ahead. Many of them have light rucksacks with supplies. One of the people I talked to was sitting down eating a tub of cold rice pudding which is probably a very good snack for this sort of event.

Adele said...

Mmmmm, cold rice pudding! I'd give it a try.