Sunday, June 02, 2013

Juneathon 2013 Day 2 - Forget the exercise

Juneathon 2013 Day 2 - Run - 5.2km, Time - 30m



Blackwell - Main Hall


The reason I had to run so early yesterday was that it had to be fitted in before driving to the Lake District. I am away for a couple of days diversion and a change of scenery.  Today I woke up in Kendal and the morning’s run was  alongside the river Kent. It was perfect: the morning sun was out, the air was fresh but not cold and beside me the water flowed fast and clear. Yes everything was perfect except  me. Once again I struggled and it  was much harder than it should have been.  But I refuse to dwell too much on that and have no intention of turning this blog into some sort of misery memoir.

Instead I will talk about the pleasure I had during the day: of walking round Blackwell, the Arts and Craft house designed by Mackay Hugh Baillie Scott, and then visiting the house of the great theorists who prepared the way for that movement: John Ruskin. Brantwood (Ruskin’s house) is one of my favourite places. It is not in anyway an example of good architecture (the exterior is a jumble) but the location overlooking Conniston Water is beautiful, the garden is bountiful, and the interior is a monument to all that Ruskin achieved (I just don’t know how he managed to write and do so much). It is a good place to sit and think ... and then eat (as there is a really good cafĂ© ).


Blacwell - overlooking Windemere




No comments: