Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Trying To Be Injury Free

When people talk of running goals they usually do so in terms of targets: first to run a 10k, 12 marathon, marathon, and then to run them in specific times. I have suddenly realised that, for me, these targets are incidental. For sure they focus the mind, give training a shape and a purpose, and keep you stimulated, but they are not the most important thing. The most important thing is consistency: regularly getting out, not getting distracted, keeping going. It is the basis of everything.

So if you asked me what my running goals are, I would say I have only one and that is to keep on keeping on.

Except that at this precise moment I am not running. I have an injury that has not fully healed and so I am spending my time regretting my stupidity and fretting about how long it now takes for my body to repair itself. My Immediate goal is therefore to let the injury fully heal and then establish a routine that will allow me to stay injury free. Only then will I be able to attain my real goal of consistency.

The pathetic thing is that everytime I am injured I make the same plans but everytime I still do something stupid (my only defence is that it is often a different type of stupid). I am therefore building up a list of things I have learned. Here are my top 5

1. The most vulnerable time is when you are coming back from an injury. My injuries have certainly clustered with long periods without problems interspersed with times when everything seems to go wrong.

I think there are two reasons. The first is that there is a tendency to come back too quickly, when the pain is acceptable rather than gone. The second is more speculative but is based on my experience of back pain (when the whole of the back and shoulders freeze, not just the hurt area): when we are injured other parts of our bodies compensate and we move differently. Imperceptibly we get out of balance and when we run again our gait can be effected, which can cause unusual stresses and lead to new problems.

Lesson: come back gently. The first runs should feel easy and relaxed and you should be very aware of form.

2. Doing too much is a dangerous temptation. This is obviously related to the problems of coming back from injury in a gentle way, but it can also be a problem at other times. A tendency to overestimate ones strength and/or ability is difficult to control. It is easy to make decisions based on memories of what you could do when you were at you peak or what you wished you could do. The inevitable result is a breakdown.

Lesson: be very realistic about your capabilities. It is no use thinking you ought to be able to do something, you have to be sure you can do something. For me realism can be very painful. Sometimes I cannot bear to admit to myself that I am that slow or that out of shape - but it has to be done.

3. Be careful about training on consecutive days. This article says that the number of consecutive days is the second best predictor of running injury (however it gives no supporting reference for this assertion so I don't know how reliable it is). My experience is more to do with intensity: I have had problems with back to back hard days and so I now know variety is important and the old adage of mixing hard and easy days should be followed.

Lesson: Take rest days and make sure easy days are truly easy.

4. Be careful about changing your running style. This might be a little controversial with the current fashion for throwing away cushioned trainers and running barefoot but I believe changes can only be made very carefully and very gradually and should only be done if there is a very good reason. After all our bodies have spent many years adapting to our own way of moving and building very particular strengths. Change too quickly and weaknesses can be exposed. With me it was POSE. For some reason I thought it worth a try, bought a pair of Puma H Streets (the then fashionable minimal shoe) and Hey Presto hurt my ankle.

Lesson: such things should not be done on a whim. Only change your style if you are very sure that you need to and then do so very carefully.

5. Be careful with stretching. It is undoubtably true that running does nothing for your flexibility and a regime of stretching is a good counterbalance, which can help to maintain a good range of movement. However it is not without risk. It is possible to overstretch and cause damage. I am most likely to do this if I stretch after a hard sessions (and I think this is the cause of my current injury). I have therefore come to the conclusion that stretching and running should be separate programmes.

Lesson: not all running injuries are caused by running be just as careful with other forms of training.

6 comments:

Adele said...

I'm sorry to hear you're not able to run. It's interesting what you say about stretching, I have been meaning to write about this (and will when I get a chance) but I used to stretch religiously before Hector came along, sometimes for the same amount of time as I had run, and I was always suffering with painful knees etc. Now I simply don't have time to stretch and I'm lucky if I do a quick quad stretch whilst sipping some water post-run, but I have been without the knee injury so far. I agree with what you say about it being sensible to look at them as separate things, maybe stretching is supposed to be done in the supervised safety of a yoga class...

WildWill said...

Sorry to here about you injury mate, i hope you get back strong.

Point 3 is very interesting as I have been doing quite a bit of reading on this and looking at different formula in how much you are stressing yourself … thus what is the likelihood if injury or illness … it still makes my head hurt at the moment though

Keep smiling WW

a runners' life said...

Interesting post. I rarely make time for stretching after a run.

I do find that stretching in the evening or early morning before breakfast feels more effective for me especially when there are some yoga poses included.

Hope your injury heals quickly.

James Dunne said...

Just came across your blog. I'm sorry to hear about your injury, I hope you're back running soon.

You give some sound advice here. With regard to changing running technique you're dead right. I've worked with a number of athletes who have tried to change their technique in response to something the may have read or heard, resulting in injury.

Without appropriate advice, changing running technique is a bit of a minefield... However, if coached properly, it can be very effective in both reducing injuries and improving efficiency.

Carnie said...

Hi, I've just started reading your blog. I have just started writing a blog myself (carniesjogblog.blogspot.com)and have been looking for inspiration and running tips.
I agree with your top 5 but I find that stretching a little after a run stops me from aching. But I've heard stretching before can do more damage than good.
Sorry to hear about your injury, I hate not being able to run.

Julie Tolkin said...

Purchasing shoes for running and jogging should be done with consideration. Foot health is vital for anyone that is very active such as an avid runner or jogger. Finding the correct shoes that will properly support the feet takes through consideration. While there are a number of shoes that are available on the market not all of them are the same and not all of them are of high quality. To ger more information on good quality running and jogging shoes please visit http://www.goodrunningshoesguide.com/new-balance-1123