Sunday, September 12, 2010

South Riding 16: End of Day 2

Eventually I will again write something about running but in the meantime I continue to try to catch up with my journeys.

End of Day 2 - mileage: 48.7 miles; total mileage 115.2

Deep into the afternoon and all that remained was the final stretch to Bankside and my stopover. But I needed refreshment before setting off, so just like yesterday, it was a fruit booster and pastry from Café Nero. On a hot day, after exertion they are a good choice.

I sat by the window, calmly watching the world go by, pleased to be here, both surprised and unsurprised by how much I could recognise. It was very easy to slip back and picture myself as a teenager walking past. The basic structure of the town was the same, as was the housing stock and all was well kempt. I could have sat there for a long time, in a state of dumb contentment but when you still have miles to ride you cannot let that happen. So I winched my limbs out of the seat (and really it did feel as if I needed to by moved by block and tackle)and got on my way.

When I said that I had had to commute all of my working life I forgot to mention that this has been the case ever since secondary school. When in Cheshire Chester was nine miles away, here I caught the train from West Wickham to Clock House and then walked along to what was Beckenham and Penge Grammar School. Today I cycled that route and passed the old school building, which is now used for adult education with what was the canteen block now a primary school. I didn’t stop to take photos. I now wish I had but at the time the need to keep going was more compelling. Looking at it I was reminded of what a strange pastiche it was - a vague imitation of an imaginary public school. In fact I can remember when I transferred I was given an interview to see if I was suitable; as my parents and I walked up the driveway my mother looked at the building and in an impressed sort of whisper said "it's very publicky isn't it?". As a building it was thus a piece of theatre, trying to suggest a grammar school ethos based on the past. At the time I though no more about it than I did about having to wear a cap as part of the uniform but I later found out it was built in 1931 and was saddened the architecture had been so backward looking. But when I went it didn’t matter – it was just a school and overall it was probably quite a good school.

After that I went along the roads behind the school towards Catford. I passed a number of roads that looked familiar and though that some friends had lived in this area but I could not remember exactly where. IIt was all a blur. So I carried on through Lewisham, New Cross, Old Kent Road, Borough High Street.

My overnight was just behind Tate Modern in one of the LSE’s halls of residence, which is available for Bed and Breakfast in the summer holidays. I knew exactly what the room would be like: student accommodation is the same everywhere. There must be a factory somewhere that makes the basic kit of small single bed, chest of drawers, wardrobe, desk and small bookcase so that every student has the same basic experience. I don’t think the designs have changed since the Sixties. Not luxurious but it does a job.

For my evening meal I went to Leon, which was next door, and somewhere I enjoy and go to regularly when I visit the Tate. After which everything was right with the world but again I was dog-tired. When I got back to my room I tried to read but my eyes were too heavy.

Unexpectedly, for this journey, my book had been a piece of excess luggage.

No comments: