Tuesday, August 03, 2010

South Riding 2 - My First Home

Colliers Wood was where I lived my first 8 years but I have hardly been back. The purpose of the journey is to give me time to wander the streets that bounded my world as a young boy: visiting the schools and parks and remembering random events.

But first the ugliest building in London (looking like it is soon to be demolished as this picture of part of it shows). It near to the bottom of my old street. When I was a child I remember the land being the home of giant rolls of paper from mills along the Wandle. I have a picture in my mind of high red flames and black smoke when they caught fire: one of my random memories. Any way the paper is a connection with where I live now (I have already mentioned John Dickinson a few times in this blog and will probably do so again).

This journey is all about pulling together threads that link places of my life, looking for continuities. Sometimes there are strange links that are almost invisible.

This is a picture of my first school. I look at it now and I think it is rather wonderful. It is the equivalent of late Victorian post-modernism in the way it has a little touch of Gothic mixed with a bit of Arts and Crafts. It was built in 1897 and designed by H P Burke Downing, who in 1905 built a school in Bexhill. Bexhill was the town my parents retired to - a tiny, invisible , inconsequential thread.

It is a GradeII listed building but no longer a general primary school. Instead it is a Muslim school teaching up to GCSEs and training missionaries. It was quite interesting that they were quite suspicious of me wandering around, looking closely at the building, taking pictures and challenged what I wanted. Once I explained, we had a really friendly chat and I actually like it that the building is still a school and has not been turned into apartments.

My house backed onto the school. You can see the wall at the end of the ten foot way, in this photo. The bricks at the top form an apex. One of our rites of passage was to walk along the top, keeping balance with both feet angled at 45ยบ. At first I could only do it by crawling but as I grew a little bigger and bolder I managed to stand upright. I can still remember the sense of achievement, probably a greater sense of satisfaction than anything I achieved in the classroom.

The house I lived in doesn't look a lot different apart from the double glazing, door and driveway for the car. I looks like a 30s house but was built in 1950 (my grandfather gave the building plot to my father as a wedding present). The War probably meant that new housing followed the old templates.

Looking at it I start to remember more. The journey is working - this is what I wanted to happen.

Directly opposite is the old Scout Hall (now Royal Naval Association), called Atlasta Hall because the fund raising took a long time. My grandfather was on the committee that finally got it built. I used to walk along the pathway alongside the hall an into the garden of my grandfather's house. To me it was a place of wonder because it was full of so much stuff: bits of radios, masses of radio equipment, a roll top desk that I loved because it was full of secret drawers (well secret in my imagination), war time binoculars and a flying suit.

I used to spend a lot of time talking to my grandfather (who everybody called Pop). In my mind he looks like Mr Pickwick with a bald head, small round glasses and a comfortable paunch. The shock is that when I was born he was the same age I am now but I can only think of him as an old man pottering around in his garden or with his radios.

Perhaps that is what I have become an old man pottering around with his running and computer.

5 comments:

Adele said...

A plot of land on which to build a house as a wedding present?! That sure beats a toaster or whatever it is people give these days. I am enjoying this journey already, it's such a lovely idea. To make my own journey would mean an initial long journey up to Wales, maybe not such a good idea without a plan and a route!

It's interesting to see the seemingly small memories coming back to you, like the climbing along the wall and the radios, not really things you might list when questioned about your childhood, but strong elements of what makes us who we are.

I look forward to the next leg.

Highway Kind said...

I have no idea how my grandfather could do such a thing. He was not wealthy in any way. His job was as a telephone engineer and we lived in a working class area. Perhaps land was more available just after the war.

As for me not knowing where I was going - It was not quite as bad as that. There was only one section through NW London that was a bit hazy. I actually have quite a good memory of the shapes of places and how they relate but a weak memory for detailed directions. I thus rely a lot on my sense of orientation

John Barringer said...

I remember Atlasta Hall very well, I was a scout leader when the 2nd Mitcham & the 10th Mitcham amalgamated to become the 25th Mitcham in the early 1960's. Stan Ingle from the 10th became the Group Scout leader, and I seem to remember that his father was involved in the fund raising and building of Atlasta Hall.
I was well aware that scouting in Colliers Wood had ceased as far as any groups were concerned, and was also aware that it had been leased out to a RN association to be used as a club for ex-seamen.
Recently,I had heard that the RN Association had moved out, and the buildings use was going to be changed - possibly to a health & fitness club.
When I passed the old Atlasta Hall a few weeks ago, I noticed that building work was in progress, and lights were on in the building. Curiosity got the better of me, and I ventured through the doors to have one last look at the building that held many happy memories for me,helped me through quite a tortured period of my youth,and where I danced and courted my wife on the Saturday night socials held there in the 1960's
I encoutered 2 men, of Asian appearance, and smiled at them and politely asked if I could just have one last look in the building.
Their grasp of the English language was negligible, apart from the two words F**k off, followed by indications that I should get get out immediately.
What a sad world we now live in, their behaviour is an insult to the good people who raised the money & built it, and the time freely given by the scout leaders to influence youngsters to become useful members of society.
How can these people behave in such a disgusting manner - I blame our politicians and their policies over the last 70 years for the slow decline in morals, self discipline and good behaviour. Thank God, that at 69 I am in the sunset of my life, and won't have to face this situation for too much longer, unlike those coming into the world today - and It's going to get far worse for them than it ever was for me.

Highway Kind said...

Interesting to have some other memories of the hall.

When I set out I didn't know what I would find and how much would remain. I was actually surprised by how recognisable it all was. I don't think I expected the scout hall to still be there but was pleased it was, even though the use had changed.

Now it looks like it it is changing again. It is a shame you had a bruising experience though.

I must admit to being more optimistic in outlook than you. In so many ways life has got better over my lifetime and I like to think of what has been gained as well as what has been lost.

Anonymous said...

I went to Singlegate school in the 1950s with a boy called David R*** who lived in the house in your photograph.

My mother was a professional dressmaker - what they called a 'sample machinist' - making prototype garments before they were mass-produced. She worked mainly from home but, while I was at Singlegate, she worked very briefly in central London. During those few weeks, I was dropped at David's house where his mother would offer me some toast (a second breakfast) and then take us to school.

I vividly remember David in a school play: "The Princess Who Never Laughed". I had just one line: "I have brought my dancers to make the Princess laugh", which was the cue for a vast crowd to enter and dance around. I think somebody else announced a troupe of clowns who similarly failed to raise a smile. Finally David appeared, wearing a cloak and a sort of cowboy hat. He produced a monkey-on-a-stick puppet and made it do a few somersaults. The Princess laughed, the couple were married, and they both lived happily ever after.

I've never forgotten doing the play and never forgotten the warmth and kindness of David's mother.

I was sad when the family moved out of the area.