Thursday, December 24, 2009

My Own Little Running World

Although I was surprised to see someone running on the snowy, icy roads I don’t think I should have been. There are many people far more dedicated than me, with an iron resolve to keep to a schedule and not let a little bit of bad weather get in the way. Some enjoy the clear crisp air and the challenge of running through snow and find the same joy we had as kids tobogganing down the slopes or throwing snowballs. Others, to whom a run is as fixed a part of the day as eating or drinking, just go out of the door because that is what they always do.

I am not in the first camp. Although I love snowy days, their beauty, the stillness and the way they bring people together, I am cautious when moving around: very aware of the dangers of falling. I prefer to be in my walking boots with their ridged and grippy soles.

As for the second group – I have never been on a streak. I think the highest number of consecutive days running is five. (A pathetic number perhaps but inevitable because of my belief in rest: even at my highest level of training I want two rest days a week.) So I am deeply impressed by those who run every day. I admire their discipline and sense of purpose, even their eccentricity.

A prime example is Ron Hill who has run at least a mile a day for the past 45 years, whatever the weather, whatever the injury or illness (famously he ran after a car crash with a cracked sternum or after a bunion operation using crutches). Now there might be a fine line between self-discipline and nuts but he is still a hero. I look upon such people as if they are a slightly different species: near enough for me to be able to recognise what they do but far enough away for me to know I could never do the same.

I know the area where I operate – keeping going, pushing myself a little but not to the extremes. Others go further and faster, others can endure more hardship, and others have better balance and can run on snow and ice. Good luck to them I like to celebrate their achievements but I have my own running world and with that I am content.


HAPPY CHRISTMAS.

No comments: