Friday, September 25, 2009

A Sunny Autumn Day


September might just be the best month for running as there is always the chance of perfect weather. Today was spectacular: sunshine, deep blue sky, a very slight breeze, warm but not too hot. Nothing could be improved. On such a day it very easy to remember the joy you felt when you first took up running and it was new and fresh.

It was an easy paced session, which meant I could be relaxed and look around, even smile at people as they passed (within reason of course. This is Southern England and a number of people will pass you with their eyes fixed firmly on the ground). The aim was just to be outside, how long it took to complete the route was irrelevant.

My usual habit for this route is to stop at half way, sit on a wall, drink some water, and then set-off back again: a break of a couple of moments. Today however I felt very relaxed sitting in the sun and a wave of contentment swept over me. I just wanted to sit still and look at the yellowing colours of the trees against the blue of the sky. The Old Nash Mills paper factory is decaying, the demolition on hold because of the economy, and I looked at the rust on the chimney and thought it matched the season (rust a sign of autumn in a mechanical lifecycle?). The elderberries have now gone but the hawthorn berries are fuller and deeper in colour. People were strolling and chatting, getting out before the weather turns.

I then wandered around taking photos, concentrating on what I was seeing, not thinking I was meant to be running. (Today's picture shows a tree stating to grow from ducting around the Mill. It is amazing how life can take root in the most unlikely of places). All in all I had a break of twenty minutes.

I cannot claim an 11km run, just two shorter runs, very close together, but I can claim that it felt the right thing to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also like it when I see plants growing in spots like in your photo. However it sort of annoys me when things insist on dying in in my pots at home from time to time, and in the "wild" they do so well in such bad circumstances.