Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Not Running on Ice


The sun is out, the sky is blue, the air is clear but I am not out running. I am not ill or injured, there is no other reason than the fact that it is bloody cold, or more the point very icy.
I took a walk along the canal to test the conditions and found it more dangerous than I imagined. The picture in this post is taken from a bridge whose footpath is covered with a smooth sheet of ice. When walking off it I could not keep my footing at all and so just slid down the slope. On the path you can see there are patches of pure ice. Trying to run would make me very anxious, especially as my left-hand has still not fully recovered from being smashed in a fall in September.
Now some people say that with good technique you will keep your balance and running on ice is a good test and there is a video from the Pose site of Dr Romanov running on ice but he is running on a smooth flat surface. Running on an icy uneven or sloping surface is much more tricky and I see no virtue in trying to test the limits of my technique.
You can call me a wimp or a fair-weather runner, I don’t mind - because it is true. On the scale between intrepid and soft I hover just above the comfort zone. So on days like this I am happy with a slow walk.

No comments: