Saturday, November 08, 2008

Fishing


Before I started running I never gave any thought to fishing.

Buried in my memory are a few days when I was 10 and my father took me fishing at the gravel pits. He was no great fisherman, having only just been introduced to the sport by some friends, and I was no natural so we never did catch much apart from tiddlers. As a hobby it was short lived but I enjoyed the outings, being in the open, searching for good spots (which had more to do with hiding in the rushes rather finding somewhere the fish would visit), and just generally messing about. The memories have little to do with fishing. They are about my father, relaxing, trying new things, involving his son. All the things I could only begin to appreciate when I was older and had children of my own.

But running often makes me think of fishing. When running by the canal I pass so many fishermen (and I think they are almost always men) I often wonder about their hobby. What is the attraction, especially when it is raining and they sit motionless in their waterproofs? It takes dedication to be out for so long in bad weather so there must be a deep level of satisfaction – but I don’t know what it is.

There are some (limited) similarities with my sport. Firstly there is the pleasure of being outside, the simple but profound feeling of being closer to nature and enjoying the direct sensations of the wind, sun or rain. There is also the pleasure of paying attention to your surroundings, watching and listening. Finally there is the refreshment of non-work, of escaping the to-do list. That much I can relate to but I understand little else. But maybe I am missing the point because canal fishing is a particularly sluggish form of the sport.

When running alongside the Vedder I saw something that made me realise that fishing could be physically active and challenging. A man had hooked a large strong fish and was attempting to reel it in. He was running along the bank, pulling it in little by little, whilst his fishing rod was bending mightily. The struggle lasted for some time before the fish was landed. When it was over the man showed the fish to his companion and threw it back. I began to understand some of the satisfaction he must have felt. He was at least physically engaged.

For me all sports must have a strong element of physical engagement. Above everything else that is their point.

4 comments:

warriorwoman said...

Maybe canal fishing is less of a sport as we know it and more of a meditation.

beanz said...

I thought it was to escape the house?

Highway Kind said...

I think you are both right.

I'm sure getting out of the house is important as is the gentle meditation of taking in the place.

But what impresses me is the endurance. They stay there for hours. Perhaps that is a bit like running where the long run gives a very paricular sense of satisfaction

Anonymous said...

The people that fish along my local canal are all chavvy blokes. A different kind of sport entirely.