Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Royal Victoria Marathon - Introduction


In the two weeks I was in Canada the seasons turned. When I arrived most of the leaves were still green but in a short time there was a wide spectrum of greens, yellows, browns and reds. It was spectacular, everyday you could look out and see the change. That is why the headline picture for these posts about the Victoria Marathon happens to be leaves that are about to turn. Nothing to do with running, but everything to do with my basic belief that running gets you out into the landscape and gives you an opportunity to see and feel it more closely. In other words it is an excuse to pay attention.

The report will be in two parts: the first describes the event itself, whilst the second is about how we all did.

I am rather sad about a complete absence of photos from the race or even of Victoria. I didn't take my camera on the race as it didn't seem appropriate to stop to take pictures (though I'm not sure it would have made much difference to my time). In the bright autumn light the course was wonderful and I thought I would return the following day just to record some of the views. Unfortunately the weather closed in and Monday was just cloud and rain – a complete wash out.

So you will just have to take my word for it that the course was beautiful and that if you want to run a marathon anywhere in North America, you couldn't do better than Victoria (unless,of course, you want the buzz of a big city race).

No comments: