Sunday, September 28, 2008

Looking More Closely


Today was one of those beautifully calm autumn days, clear and bright with a slight sharpness in the air - perfect for running. On days like this I want to see further, notice my surroundings more, look people in the eye and face the world. I keep my head up and my posture is improved. I look about me and reflect on the way the weather affects my mood and how much of the summer has been overcast or wet.

Recently running has been a struggle. The memory of the day when I was totally washed-out stayed with me for some time and all the gloomy days have made me feel – well … gloomy. Injury further lowered my spirits and so my only ambition has been to keep going - in whatever way I could, even if that was not much.

So days like this feel good.

I did not go for a long run and had no aim other than to enjoy myself. I ran at whatever pace I felt like, which actually varied quite a bit, so did not check my watch or hrm. If I felt like stopping to look around – well that is what I did. It was not a run you could categorise in any training schedule. All you could say was that I was out and about.

The picture gives some idea of the peacefulness of the day but for me it is another reminder about the need to pay attention and think about what you see. I have run over this bridge countless times as it is on my stock route, but never once noticed the mini arch. Why is it there – a passing lane for ducks? It is not as if the span to large for one brick arch.

I still do not know the reason but at least I have asked that question and have looked more closely at my surroundings

No comments: