Friday, August 29, 2008

Last Saturday


There is a tragedy in this picture. The sign is in the bouquets of flowers on the roof of the boat on the extreme right -Foxy.

When I took this photo I had no idea. My only thought was that it was a very calm day, the moorings seemed peaceful and I wanted to show the development built on the site of the old John Dickinson paper mill. I only understood the significance after I had finished my run and bought a paper. The headline of the nearby local-paper told of of a boat owner who had drowned last Saturday.

Apparently he lived here at the Apsley Lock Moorings and kept to himself. The body was pulled from the water at 1.30, but the police are not treating the death as suspicious. At approximately the same time as I was taking a photo of a cricket match and thinking about how English the scene seemed. I don't know why that now seems odd, but it does; as does the fact that I ran past the moorings out and back, and was completely unaware that anything had happened.

3 comments:

beanz said...

That is sad - and I guess another side of English life.

Anonymous said...

How sad.

Highway Kind said...

Yes it was sad.

There must be tradies like this happening up and down the country all the time. But this one I felt connected to.