Thursday, January 17, 2013

Janathon 2013 Day 17 - If on a winter's day



Walk - 6 miles, Time - 1h 45m, Weather - nippy

Today I went for a longish walk. 

he cloud was heavy, although there were patches of light picking out the heavy frost on all the bare branches. Everywhere the tones were subdued, predominantly white and grey but with traces of green and brown on the ground and in the sky areas of light with slight hints of orange. The ground was hard and frozen, and the landscape empty. It was quiet and if said hushhhh, I could watch my breath hang in the air. 

Winter days like these are pleasing, if you are dressed up warmly and you can stride out unhindered. For some reason, when there is a frost so heavy it’s indistinguishable from snow, it is slightly magical. It’s as if the trees and hedges are sketched with soft pencil on white paper. I stop to look and then start walking again. Everything seems so clear - and then I think about my sense of wonder and am pleased I am not so jaded it has been lost. My body might be worn and showing it’s age but inside there is still a child looking out. That is as it should be

Today’s Stoic quote is about that feeling:
To shrug it all off and wipe it clean - every annoyance and distraction - and reach utter stillness 
    Child’s play 
(Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book V, 2)


No comments: