Thursday, January 13, 2011

Janathon Day 13:You have to imagine it is a real alpaca

Janathon Day 13: cycle 17 miles, Time 1hr 15min, Weather lowering


I actually saw some alpacas on my ride today. They were in the field behind this notice but because they were far away and the air was misty, the photos from my little camera were fuzzy and indistinct. Instead I offer you a picture of a picture  with the excuse that I nearly  managed to take a photo of a cute animal.
You will just have to take my word for it that looking at Alpacas in the field was the highlight of my ride. The are strange animals, very alert, who look at you with as much attention as you look at them.
Other than that the day was depressing - another lowering sky following yet more rain (when the days are so short and so grey are we getting enough vitamin D I wonder).
The fields were sodden, the roads covered in puddles, and everything looked bleak. 
When I started I calculated the chances of being soaked by a 4x4 driving through a puddle at speed and thought them high. In the event there were not that many cars about and I escaped, which was cheering. For stretches of time I seemed to be on my own. I find it strange that I live in a fairly crowded part of a densely populated country, near very busy motorways, and yet there are times, after only a few miles, when I can feel I am on my own in the landscape. It doesn't take much to find open vistas.
Some of the roads I cycled were little wider than single track and on such roads I never go very fast, even when there is a good downhill stretch. I always imagine a car, hidden from view, but coming towards me, round the next bend. How fast I go therefore depends on how far I can see ahead as much as on my pitiful fitness. I think this attitude comes from years of cycling in London and accidents that have taught me to be defensive. I am always looking for cars assuming the drivers won't see me. At roundabouts and junctions I always try to make eye contact with the drivers or at least check their body language to see if they are likely to stop.
I become more cautious when I read about the death of the boxer Gary Mason who was killed when hit by a van and stories in the paper like these, There is a balance to be struck. One does not want to become overly anxious - too paranoid to enjoy the ride - but at the same time you have to remember to be aware

5 comments:

JogBlog said...

" I am always looking for cars assuming the drivers won't see me. At roundabouts and junctions I always try to make eye contact with the drivers or at least check their body language to see if they are likely to stop."

Me too. I'd never cycle in London though.

Nice llama pic. Oops, Alpaca pic, I mean.

Adele said...

You went in search of those Alpacas didn't you?! They make nice wool. Nab me some next time.

Anonymous said...

I have a bagful of beautifully soft alpaca fleece waiting to be carded and spun.

And I can't help feeling that the bar is being raised in this I-spy book of Janathon animals...

Unknown said...

Alpacas are Llamas with sex appeal. Or something. If I were cycling I would see nothing but the road ahead, and then the road beneath (I fall off a lot) so I am impressed that you even cycle, let alone make eye contact with drivers.

conveyancers Adelaide said...

If you sell a property which is not yet develop or a vacant lot that full of trees, try to clean it and make it like a park in order to catch the attention of the buyer.