Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Amsterdam

This was never designed to be a training blog. All I ever hoped to do was ramble-on about things and then make some connection with running (however tenuous the link might be). There have thus been very few clues to my gradual increase in mileage over the past three months. It has been nothing too spectacular and has peaked at about 35 miles per week. But if Womble can run back to back marathons on that sort of mileage I don’t see why I should not attempt just one.

So Amsterdam it is.

I have been keeping quiet about this because I have a truly lousy record of actually running these races. Out of the four I have attempted I have only finished one (the first). Two I failed to start because of injury or illness and in the final one I scared myself witless by having a heart rate that went out of control.

But there are now only a couple of weeks to go and apart from the paranoia of everybody around me having colds and coughs, I am fairly confident of being there. Although I am looking forward to it I am also a little apprehensive - I have no idea what it will be like.

So early on the Saturday morning we will be flying out from Luton and on Monday we return. We will also try not to feel guilty about burning up our carbon allowance on this indulgence.

4 comments:

beanz said...

WOW - how exciting. I do hope we meet up.

Womble and I go out Friday, come back Monday.

womble said...

WOOHOO!!!!!! See you there!! That 35 miles is the total not per week ;o)

londonjogger said...

just found your blog - great read:)

b-z said...

oh, I wish I was doing it now so i could met you

On call:(