Thursday, January 13, 2005

Intro and Outro

I don't really want to talk about myself. This is a strange opening line for a blog - because what is a blog if not an opportunity to be a bit self indulgent. But it is nevertheless true; I am not very interested in recording details of my life, how well the runs are going, milage etc. I am however interested in trying to work out my relationship to running, why I am absorbed by it and whether at the end of the day, after all that effort, it is worth anything more than a hill of beans.

So to put it all into context I need to start with an introduction so that anybody reading this knows that all my opinions come from a position of advancing age combined with little experience.

I am 54 years old and started running last year. From those facts alone it is obvious that my best days are not behind me - they never existed. I can never, will never be a competetive athlete. I can be average, in objective terms, and I can be jokey and put that down as an aspiration - but I know it is not the case. My aspiration is to be able to run the best that I can and find a sense of harmony between me and the physical world.

In my head I want to shout out:
"Roadrunner once
Roadrunner twice
I'm in love with the modern world
And ain't it nice"

No comments: